Home Forums Dungeon Master – Support Creating linear dungeons without backtracking

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ggreer
    Participant

I’m trying to generate linear outdoor dungeons. Right now I have a skinny 5×20 level. The entrance is at 2,0. The end is at 2,19. This sometimes generates dungeons where the ends aren’t connected. If I start at either end, I end up with the entrance close to the end. I tried using the key/lock system, but it doesn’t seem to generate more rooms if the key can’t get to the lock. What should I been doing?

Thanks!

vchevaliervchevalier
    Keymaster

Hi ggreer!

Nice to meet you!

Ok, so I just want to make sure I get everything right before thinking about solutions:
    The entrance at 2,0 and the exit at 2,19 are preset rooms? And you want to make sure they are always connected? Are these coordinates X/Y or X/Z? (I will assume X/Z with a top/down view since this is an outside dungeon)

If that is the case, unfortunately the DM doesn’t currently support “making sure all preset rooms are connected” in a level right now. I plan to solve this in the next release, but I can’t promise it yet since I haven’t started working on this.

Here is one solution for you:
    1- Remove one of the preset room
    2- Allow the entrance or exit to be spawned by any room that can show up at the level limit. (depending on your connectors/rooms setup. I can’t be more specific without more data on your dungeon configuration)
    3- Use the “peripheral connector” feature to make sure your entrance and exit are always at opposite sides of the level. Your entrance connector should probably be “peripheral” with direction “backward” and your exit would be “peripheral” with direction “forward” (judging by your coordinates if they actually are X/Z).

I don’t know what your rooms look like right now, so you can determine which of the entrance or the exit would be the best candidate to be removed as preset room.

Try it out and let me know how it goes. Or if you need more information, please ask.

Good luck with your project!

ggreer
    Participant

I’m using the X/Y axis so I can use 2D physics. The dungeon is a path from a beach room through jungle to a boss room. There can be many beach rooms, but there must be one and only one boss room. I’ll try peripheral connectors. Thanks!

vchevaliervchevalier
    Keymaster

Cool! That looks interesting! I guess the boss should stay as the preset room then. Let me know how it goes! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.